So you ask what is happening with Travis and Lorna...
As we entered the sabbatical phase of our ministry we were inspired by Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.
We believe that the Lord is going to move us into something new - that will be an even better fit for our gifts, skills and passions. In order to discern what’s next, TMS Global has asked us to take a sabbatical focused on 3 key elements:
1. Focus on recovery: After years of working under difficult circumstances, we need time to rest, recover and regroup for the future. TMS Global provides formal and informal means for real rest and recovery to happen for those who serve with TMS Global. Some of the activities of our recovery include:
- Pilgrimage to The Holy Land with church family
- TMS Global bebrief with Dr Beverly Richardson
- Reconnecting with family and friends
2. Focus on discernment: We will spend time in conversation with God and people who know us well, meeting regularly with a few who have agreed to be our sabbatical mentors. A few members of the TMS Global leadership team will prayerfully offer options for the future. Activities to help with the discernment phase includes:
- Completing a suggested reading plan.
- A John Parrish lead Guided Personal Spiritual Retreat at the Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove. The focus of the retreat is to enable others to think deeply, choose wisely, live Godly and to intentionally encourage others to do the same.
- An Ignatius House retreat on Becoming Free To Choose: Discerning The Next
Step, directed by Fr. Matthew Linn, SJ. This retreat will explore the steps for discerning: becoming open to new dreams, hearing the real God in our
consolation and desolation, healing our fears and limitations, risking new actions, and evaluating our lived experience. There will be exercises to apply Ignatian discernment so that it becomes a practical tool for future discernment.
- Retreat at The Conyers Monastery - tbd
3. Focus on preparation: We will work on getting needed training and equipping for personal, spiritual and vocational development.
We will plan to visit most of you in person to share what the Lord’s done at Children of Zion Village, as well as what He’s leading us to next. We will also spend time securing the financial support necessary to fulfill our new ministry vision.
As we wait on the Lord, there is a vital role that only YOU can play:
PRAY. If you'd like to pray regularly for us, let us know so we can keep you informed. If you are already part of our prayer team - don't stop! Offer to pray with us when you see us. Gather the prayer 'troops' to spend an evening listening to and praying for us.
GIVE. We are still with TMS Global, responsible to raise financial support during this formal sabbatical, as well as to prepare for their our overseas ministry. If you are part of our support team - don't stop! If you have not yet supported us, would you prayerfully consider becoming a financial partner now? If this is something you'd like to be part of, here's where you can give www.tms-global.org/give. Just scroll down to the Give to a Missionary section, our four-digit Missionary ID # is 0538. If you prefer to send a check you can mail it to TMS Global, PO Box 936559, Atlanta, GA 31193-6559. Please be sure to include our name and four-digit Missionary ID # 0538 in the memo field of the check.